Wednesday, September 18, 2013

my beginnings

Since young, possessing a straight and white teeth have always been my trademark. However, I managed to sustained that title only for a good few years. My teeth started to have a series of issues.
My first dental issue started when I was 17, with the some brown stains occuring at the front of my tooth. That was when I realized how important is it to have a presentable "smile". I was embarrassed not to mention upset when people made remarks about my stained teeth. Never did it occur to me that I should get it rectified as I had this constant fear of visiting the dentist. Not to even mention the high cost of it. After a few years of struggle with that two stained front teeth,  I've decided to fork out some money and get it fixed. Miraculously, the confidence in me came back. I could smile with my mouth open wide.

That was when I realized the importance of having a set of good teeth. Something we have all taken granted.

Just as I thought that maintaining and going to the clinic regularly for scaling and polishing was more than enough, my second dental issue came about. The bottom front teeth of mine started to drift apart. I considered many options of getting it scrutinized. But all the options cost me more than SGD$5000. Should I even put myself to such risk? Spend so much of money just to get the bottom teeth together?

I told myself, if Madonna could live her life happily like a diva (being comfortable with the fact that there's a gap in her front tooth) why should I even be so cynical about that gap in front?



And so, i abandoned the idea of getting my teeth straightened.

At the age of 30, my 3rd dental issue started to surface. This time probably one of the worst. I realized that I had some issues using one of my back tooth to bite. Everytime I eat something using that particular tooth, there will be this excruciating pain going around my mouth. Initially, I thought it was just sensitive tooth. I decided to survive on biting on my left side of the mouth instead. However, the pain in the right back tooth became really bad.  That was when I've decided that it is probably about time for me to visit the dentist again.

After one x ray done in the neighbourhood clinic, I was told that the back molar of mine was cracked. Unconvinced, i went to the government hospital to seek for a second opinion. True enough, it was being recognized that the tooth cracked badly and that an extraction of my tooth will be ideal. Other options begin to surface. Root Canal, crowning etc. But the dentist in the hospital told me that it is a waste of time and money to go through root canal as the crack on my tooth is really bad. So much my daily habits have also been questioned. It seems that I have this tendency of clenching my jaws alot. I tend to bite against my teeth in relief of pressure. 

With that gap, the bad bite, the clenching of my teeth issues all resurfacing. Ive decided to get everything fixed. All at once! that includes that little gap in the front.

Now, talking about the purpose of my blog. I wanted to share my experience with the other people about my journey of putting on braces. Im sure there are many others who are unsure, scared and over paranoid about this whole process.

I am here to tell you that you are not alone.

12 September 2013
Two x rays by the hospital to make sure that my teeth is in a good shape.

A slimy feeling dough were placed underneath my upper and lower teeth. Here is how it was for me. The mould is like a wet dough placed on a metal spanner. If your mouth is a little small, it will cause a little bit of discomfort. (At least to me)


There you are you are done with the first consultation.


No comments:

Post a Comment